Sunday, December 9, 2007

Things 16 & 17 -- Wiki's

Thing 16 – Wikis
Wikis are great. In addition to Wikipedia which I use on a regular basis, I looked at the Library Success Best Practices Wiki and The St Josephs County Public Library use of a Wiki to present Subject guides. Both are very interesting. I think the subject guides are an area where all libraries can probably use Wiki’s.


Thing 17 – Wiki Update
For thing 17 I chose to update an entry on Wikipedia. If you look up Coney Island Light in Wikipedia you’ll see an article about a lighthouse in Brooklyn, NY. I grew up at this lighthouse I was able to edit this article adding information about my dad Frank Schubert who was the last resident keeper of the light. “The most recent resident keeper was Frank Schubert (1915 - 2003). Frank was the last civilian lighthouse keeper in the United States. He worked for the United States Coast Guard since 1939, serving at Coney Island since 1960.” It is interesting and easy to be able to add information to an online encyclopedia.

No comments: